|About the Union Area & the
towns and villages that make up our
membership area are located in Maine's
scenic inland midcoast area. Rolling green
fields and a backdrop of purple hills are
dotted with working farms – a reminder and
continuance of our agricultural heritage. We
are proud to be out in the country!
Traveling along meandering roads you will
see blueberry fields, apple orchards,
sparkling lakes and ponds tucked into the
forest. Both the Medomak and St. George, two
pristine rivers, flow through our area as
they rush toward the sea.
The towns within
our membership area are prime examples of
classic rural northern New England village
settings with historically significant homes
and small businesses clustered within a
picturesque village center or on a town
green. The towns of Appleton, Union,
Waldoboro, Warren and Washington were
established prior to the American Revolution
and Hope was established shortly afterwards.
major routes through the inland midcoast are
Rt. 17 (east/west Rockland to Augusta), Rt
131 (north/south Warren to Searsmont) and
Rt. 220 (north/south Waldoboro to
Washington) and Rt. 235 (northeast/southwest
Waldoboro to Hope).
Our areas are well served with cell phone
signal, cable tv (where available) and
relialable telephone, internet service &
electricity. Our schools are modern;
there are small grocery stores dotted
We have excellent restaurants and farmers
markets in the area in addition to several
banks and convenience stores. Each
town has outstanding libraries.
Union is centrally located to Augusta,
Waldoboro, Rockland/Camden and Belfast
offering the ability to do business in
Appleton is located in the northern
hills of Knox county- first known as
"McLain's Mills" for lumber mills located on
the St. George's River.
Hope was originally settled in the
1780's. In 1785, Charles Barrett's land
dealings with the Proprietors from Boston
lead to the surveying of Hope into
Union was settled in 1774 as Taylortown
and later called Sterlingtown until its
incorporation in 1786, uniting the villages
that lie north, east and south with the
central settlement around the Common in a
spirit of harmonious "Union".
Waldoboro, located on the Medomak River,
was also part of the Waldo Patent purchased
about 1720 by General Samuel Waldo of
Boston. First called Broad Bay, the village
was settled between 1733-1740.
Warren was originally part of the Waldo
Patent and first settled by Europeans in
1736 under the auspices of General Samuel
Waldo. It was originally called the Upper
Town of St. Georges Plantation.
Washington was settled in 1775 and
incorporated in 1811 then known as Putnam
named after Isreal Putnam, who was a
minuteman and leader during the
1955 - Reorganized from the 1894 Union Board
1958 - Annual Tree Lighting on the Union
Common began and continues to this day.
Chinese Elms set outside Thompson Community
Public Saftey activities.
Sponsorships and donations to Soap Box
Derby, High School Band, "The Community
Program", directions and street signs, Good
Citizen plaque to a UHS Senior, Student
Scholarships, Built the Little League field
at the Fairgrounds, created and maintained
Ayer Park with fireplaces and picnic tables.
Printed Union Brochures, Created the Map &
Guide, Developed 3 websites, Built the
Sponsored Union Cleanup Day and a youth
recreation program at the Thompson Memorial
Promoted new and existing businesses in the
Appleton Ridge Technology Services, LLC.
© 2016 Union
Area Chamber of Commerce,
Union Maine. All rights reserved.